Sunday 5 January 2014

Off to a Great Start

Well, I went and perused the bookshelf and found a set of books written by Al Lacy.  Now, these are two books within each book, so a total of 8 books.

I have read the first book, thanks mostly to a day that involved a great amount of chilling out.  The book is 'A Promise Unbroken' by Al Lacy.

It was a surprisingly good read.  I had looked at these books when I first got them two or three years back, but for one reason or another did not get very far.  In the meantime, while schooling the children, I have learnt a great deal more about US geography and the Civil War.  This made the setting of the story so much easier to picture and understand.

The story was set in Richmond, Virginia prior to and during the early Civil War, and ended with the Battle of Rich Mountain.  The characters ranged from loveable, joyful people to horrid and despicable lowlifes.  It was filled with slavery, which has given me a greater insight into how slaves were treated by those with differing opinions of how human slaves were. Love stories were woven through the story and the trials that different couples faced during that time.  All in all, I really enjoyed this intriguing and often surprising story and look forward to reading the others I have now.

Now for this week, I'm going to finish off a book that I'm pre-reading for one of the children and hopefully the next Al Lacy story which is 'A Heart Divided'.



52 Books in 52 Weeks

  1. A Promise Unbroken - Al Lacy

No comments:

Post a Comment